I spent time with close girlfriends this weekend and had the most delightful time. One of the things they surprised me with was a newlywed game type quiz. If you’re not familiar with the game, your significant other answers a bunch of questions about themselves/you/your relationship in private beforehand, and then you get asked these same questions. You get a point if you answer similarly.
Here are our questions (written by the lovely Doris!):
- What is Thomas’ favorite date with you? His answer: “Well, it’s got to be the first one, doesn’t it? Mention ‘laundry.'” I got this right! And, the laundry thing: basically, to this day, I still give him a hard time because in our earliest weeks, doing laundry was his excuse to end our dates super early (including our first one). This freaked me out and made me think he wasn’t into me – because who does so much laundry? Well, it turns out he actually DID have to do all that laundry (and having lived with the man for over five years, I can confirm this), and yes, he did still like me.
- What word would Thomas use to describe you? His answer: “Adorable.” After a hint, I got this right!
- If Thomas had to wear only one color of clothing for the rest of his life, what color would he pick? His answer: “Black.” This was easy. What color would Thomas think you would wear? His answer: “Tan? Maybe?” Ha! Typical boy answer. And totally wrong.
- What restaurant will Thomas miss most from the DC/Northern VA area? His answer: “Any of the decent Ethiopian joints.” I actually guessed both Ethiopian and Vietnamese food, in a general sense, although I should have just gone with Ethiopian. There are lots of great Asian restaurants in Seattle!
- If Thomas had to pick a different name for Wallace, what would he name him? His answer: “Sparky.” Wrong. I had no idea.
- Who would Thomas rather meet: Albert Einstein, Abraham Lincoln, or Leonardo Da Vinci? His answer: “Lincoln, I’d say.” Wrong. I said Einstein.
- If Thomas had to eat only one thing that you cook/bake for 30 days, what would it be? His answer: “Avocado ice cream.” I answered avocado ice cream and German chocolate cake – so, correct!
- What does Thomas think you would like better: caterpillars or slugs? His answer: “Caterpillars.” Correct. Slugs are vile.
- Does Thomas think you would eat a dead fried cockroach for one million dollars? His answer: “She wouldn’t.” Actually, I would! I mean, I certainly wouldn’t enjoy it, but if it’s fried up and greasy, I’d do it for a million bucks. Would Thomas? His answer: “It would depend on how I got to cook it.” I think I said that he would eat a cockroach for that much money, despite his intense bug phobia. I did ask him about the weird way he answered the question (since it specifically states that the roach would be fried), and he said that he missed that part. Oops. If he’d actually read that, he would have said I’d eat it too.
- If Thomas had to adopt another pet, which one would he pick: a poodle or a bulldog? Which one would you pick? His answer: “I think we’d both go with a poodle, but those are kind of wide breed families. Like, can we pick a French bulldog?” Oh Thomas and your crazy conditional answers. I got this wrong – I picked a bulldog. Small dogs aren’t our favorites, and I was thinking of toy poodles, not standard poodles – which we do like. He would never want to own a bulldog because they gots lots of health problems.
- What is Thomas’ favorite book? His answer: “Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail of ’72.” I was wrong – I picked Perdido Street Station by China Mieville – but apparently he was thinking of naming that one too.
- What is his favorite movie? His answer: “These days I don’t know, but it used to be Army of Darkness.” I did get this one, but only after many hints.
- Favorite video gaming system? His answer: “PC.” Boo! I guessed Super Nintendo or Nintendo DS. None of us liked his answer, though, since we didn’t think a PC actually counts as a video gaming system.
- What is one of Thomas’ favorite memories from a trip taken with you? His answer: “Man, there’s so many. I’m always amused when I remember doing our laundry in the red light district of Nice in France, and getting stuck in a conversation with this guy who was a cook for cruise lines for a living. I’m sure there are better stories, but it’s early.” Aww, I had forgotten all about this. I got as far as France, but couldn’t think of specific memories from that trip.
- If Thomas had to either shave his head bald or never shave his face for five years, which would he pick? His answer: “I love my hair. Let the scraggly, ‘Children, would you like some candy from my van?’ beard commence!” Shocking. Shocking, I tell you! I chose shave his head bald, but apparently, I was dead wrong. See, Thomas loathes facial hair – loathes it. This is why you will never see him with any sort of beard or even stubble. But – and this is news to me – he LOVES his hair. He is proud of the fact that he still has a full head of it. Ha!
- If Thomas had to eat one fruit for one year as his only dessert, which would he pick: oranges or grapes? His answer: “I would probably take oranges if that includes clementines.” I was right. Boy loves his vitamin C in the winter. What would you pick? His answer: “I think Belle would take grapes.” Eh, I like both, but would slightly prefer oranges. Although fruit as my only dessert for one year? I think we have deeper issues here.
I didn’t quite ace the test, but I got enough right to obtain permission to marry Thomas. Woot! And I even got a special button as my prize:
Thank you to my awesome friends who made this weekend so special. They are the best ever!